Since 1994, and successively in 2001, 2004, 2008, and 2010 Jos the capital of Plateau State in north-central Nigeria has experienced repeated crises which have eroded the peace and tranquillity which the State was known for. This crises has been characterised by incidents of wide spread violence, in which residents from different communities in the city systematically attacked one another with a range of dangerous weapons. The violence assumed identity-based dimensions with mass atrocity crimes, resulting in the killing of hundreds and the displacement of tens of thousands.
Over this period the Federal and the Plateau State government has established 6 Commissions of Inquiry into the various crises. The reports of these Commissions of Inquiry remain unpublished and inaccessible and its recommendations never implemented. So far the Plateau State government has established the following Commissions:
1. Justice J. Aribiton Fiberesima Commission of 1994. Set up by Lt. Col. Mohammed Maina- Military Administrator of Plateau State. Composition of Panel: Hon. Justice J. Aribiton Fiberesima (Rtd) – Chairman, Major D. J. M. Igah - Member, Squadron Leader M. B. Usman -Member, Alhaji I. D. Muhammed - Member, Mr. T. Didel - Member, Mr. S. O. Aboki - Counsel, Mr. P. P. Deshi - Secretary
2. Justice Niki Tobi Commission of 2001. Set up by Governor Joshua Dariye. Composition of Panel: Justice Ismaila Adamu, Barr. Ibrahim Hamman, Barr. Nasiru Goshi, Chief (Dr.) Chigozie Njoku, Chief Markus W. Ishaya, Mr. Thomas Didel, Hon. Mali Khandi Dung (Late), Hon. Mrs. V.K. Umaru and Mr. John G. Gobak who was secretary.
3. Justice Bola Ajibola (SAN) Commission of 2009. Set up Governor Jonah Jang. Composition of Panel: Justice Bola Ajibola(SAN),KBE,CFR- Chairman, Professor M.T. Yahy - Member, Barrister (Mrs.) Virginia Abang-Member, Barrister Daniel Gopep-Member, Mr. Sale Fale –Member, Chief D.G. Fompun-Secretary.
The following Commissions have also been setup by the Federal government:
1. Justice Suleiman Galadima Commission 2001
2. Emmanuel Abisoye Presidential Panel 2009. Composition of Panel: Major General Emmanuel Abisoye (rtd) Chairman, Barr. Festus Okoye, Ambassador Preware, Prof. Kharisu Shukkai, Lawal Daura, DIG Yusuf Haruna, Air Commodore Abiagom, Ambassador Fati Abubakar and Alhaji Musa Shafi'I (secretary).
3. Chief Solomon D. Lar and Amb Yahaya Kwande 2010. Composition of Panel: Co-chaired by Chief Solomon D. Lar and Amb. Yahya Kwande, other members include; Mrs. Hannatu Chollom, Mr. John Samci, Prof. N. Gomwalk, Ibrahim Dasuki Nakande, Ambassador Fidelis Tapgun, Senator John Shagaya, Sen. Ibrahim Mantu, Hon. Leo Dilkon, Most Rev. I.A Kaigama, Sheikh Dawud Balarabe, Mrs. Fati Kyri, AVM U Abbas and Alhaji Saleh Hassan.
"R2knigeria's effort is an example of an NGO working in partnership with government to solve a joint problem"
Dr Joe Abah (DG BPSR)
"Great job, the society should be made aware of these rights"
"Very useful materials, keep up the good work!"
"More people need to be educated on these rights"
"Great job with the translations, they are very accurate"
"The videos are very educative and easy to understand"
"I like the professionalism and transparency of the organization"